- 4 Sundays before Christmas
- Begins with the vigil on the eve of the First Sunday of Advent and concludes on the afternoon of Christmas Eve
- The colours violet or purple in Advent help us to remember that we are preparing for the coming of Christ.
- The colour rose may be used on the Third Sunday of Advent, Gaudete Sunday, as an anticipation of the joy of Christmas
During Advent, each Sunday gospel reading has a distinctive theme:
- First Sunday – the Lord’s coming at the end of time,
- Second and Third Sundays – John the Baptist,
- Fourth Sunday – the events that prepared immediately for the Lord’s birth.
CLICK HERE for Children’s Advent Calendars
CLICK HERE for The Jesse Tree – Ideas and Prayer
CLICK HERE for Jesse Tree images
CLICK HERE for Advent Reconciliation Service
CLICK HERE for Advent Prayer Service
CLICK HERE for Advent Prayer – Henri Nouwen
CLICK HERE for further information about Advent
CLICK HERE for a leaflet on Advent