As a constitute member of the Catholic Church in Ireland, we recognise and uphold the dignity and rights of all children, are committed to ensuring their safety and well-being and will work in partnership with parents/guardians to do this. We recognise each child is a gift from God, and we value and encourage the participation of children in all activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual and social development.
All Church personnel (including clergy, religious, staff and volunteers) have a responsibility to safeguard children through promoting their welfare, health and development in a safe and caring environment that supports their best interests and prevents abuse. The Diocese of Kerry is also committed to providing a safe environment for adults who may be vulnerable.
National Safeguarding Policy Document
The safeguarding children policy document is now available to download: Safeguarding Policy Document
For the effective implementation of the 7 safeguarding standards a guidance document has also been published:
- Standard 1: Creating and maintaining safe environments
- Standard 2: Procedures for responding to child protection suspicions, concerns, knowledge or allegations
- Standard 3: Care and support for the complainant
- Standard 4: Care and management of respondent
- Standard 5: Training and support for keeping children safe
- Standard 6: Communicating the Church’s safeguarding message
- Standard 7: Quality assuring compliance with the standards
- Glossary and terms